Glencoe Lodge, 1886-1932
This house was built on the northwest corner of Georgia and Burrard as a residence for CPR land commissioner JM Browning in 1886. West Georgia was then known as “Blueblood Alley” before all the rich folk moved out to Shaughnessy Heights.
In 1906, BT Rogers of the sugar empire fame, bought the Browning house and its neighbour, originally occupied by HE Beasley, another CPR exec. Both houses were raised, two stories were added, and they were joined together to form the Glencoe Lodge, an exclusive boutique hotel for those who felt Hotel Vancouver was too ghetto for their refined tastes, including Wilfrid Laurier and Mackenzie King. Rogers leased the hotel to Miss Mollison, who ran it for over 25 years.
The hotel was expanded in 1912 but didn’t survive the Great Depression. It was demolished in 1932 to make room for a parking lot. Permanent residents of the hotel, which by then was called Hotel Belfred, owed Miss Mollison $11,000 in back rent at the time of their eviction.
Source: City of Vancouver Archives #LGN 483 and #Hot N3