Vancouver’s business district circa 1890s, drawn by R. G. Stephens for the cover of the monthly magazine, The Nabob, from July, 1946. The magazine had this to say about the work:
…the picture is a surprisingly accurate portrayal of actual buildings of the period, each having had its exact replica along Cordova, Water, or Alexandra Streets. The costumes were the styles of the day…even the street lamp at the top right is a faithful reproduction…and the boot sign hanging above the cobbler’s shop was to be seen until very recent years. The building at the left with its stone fronting, impressive balustrades and gabled roof, was typical of many buildings of that era. Mr. Stephens has given us an excellent view of Vancouver in its extreme youth.
Bravo, Mr. Stephens! Magazine shown courtesy of Neil Whaley. And yes, The Nabob was a Vancouver publication of Kelly, Douglas & Company, Limited, the original proprietors of the Nabob brand. In 1994, the Nabob brand was purchased by Kraft Canada.